What is Temporary Virtual Number?
A disposable virtual number, also known as a temporary virtual number or burner number, is a phone number that can be used temporarily for various purposes. It is typically obtained through a virtual phone number service or app, and it functions similarly to a regular phone number.
The primary purpose of a disposable virtual number is to provide privacy and anonymity. People may use disposable virtual numbers in situations where they don’t want to reveal their personal or permanent phone number. Some common use cases include:
- Online registrations: When signing up for online services, websites, or apps that require a phone number verification, you can use a disposable virtual number instead of your personal number to protect your privacy.
- Temporary communications: If you’re engaging in short-term communications, such as buying or selling items online, participating in classified ads, or using dating apps, a disposable virtual number can be used to keep your personal number confidential.
- Marketing campaigns: Marketers often utilize disposable virtual numbers to track the effectiveness of their marketing campaigns or to provide a dedicated contact channel for a specific promotion or event.
- Traveling or temporary situations: When traveling abroad or staying in a different location temporarily, you might need a local phone number for convenience or cost-saving purposes. A disposable virtual number can be a practical solution.
Disposable virtual numbers can typically receive calls and text messages, but their duration of availability varies depending on the service provider. Some numbers may expire after a certain time or a set number of uses. It’s important to note that disposable virtual numbers are not intended for long-term use or critical communications, as they may not provide reliable or permanent connectivity.
How We can Get a Temporary Virtual Number?
To obtain a temporary virtual number, you can follow these general steps:
- Research virtual number service providers: Look for reputable virtual number service providers that offer temporary or disposable virtual numbers. There are various companies and apps available, so compare their features, pricing, and user reviews to find the one that suits your needs.
- Sign up for an account: Visit the website or download the app of your chosen virtual number service provider. Create an account by providing the necessary information, which may include your name, email address, and sometimes payment details if there are any costs involved.
- Select a temporary virtual number: Once you have registered, navigate through the available options to select a temporary virtual number. Depending on the service provider, you may be able to choose from different countries or regions, as well as specific area codes.
- Verify your identity: In some cases, virtual number services may require you to verify your identity before providing you with a number. This could involve providing additional information or uploading identification documents. The verification process ensures the legitimate and responsible use of virtual numbers.
- Start using the temporary virtual number: Once you have obtained a temporary virtual number, you can start using it for your desired purpose. Depending on the provider, you may receive calls and text messages directly on their platform or have the option to forward them to your personal phone number or email.
It’s important to note that the specific steps and procedures may vary depending on the virtual number service provider you choose. Make sure to read their documentation or follow their on-screen instructions for the most accurate and up-to-date guidance.
What are the best Virtual Number Providers?
There are several reputable virtual number providers available, each with its own features and pricing plans. Here are some popular virtual number providers that are well-regarded:
- Twilio: Twilio is a highly regarded cloud communications platform that offers virtual phone numbers and a wide range of communication tools. They provide virtual numbers in numerous countries and offer various features like voice calls, SMS messaging, and even programmable capabilities for building custom communication applications.
- Google Voice: Google Voice is a service offered by Google that provides users with a free virtual phone number. It allows you to make and receive calls, send text messages, and voicemail transcription. Google Voice is primarily available in the United States but can be used internationally with certain limitations.
- Grasshopper: Grasshopper is a virtual phone system designed specifically for small businesses and entrepreneurs. It offers virtual phone numbers, call forwarding, voicemail transcription, and other features to manage calls professionally. Grasshopper is known for its user-friendly interface and reliable service.
- Telnyx: Telnyx is a communication platform that provides virtual phone numbers, voice calls, messaging, and more. They offer global coverage and allow you to integrate their services into your own applications or systems through their APIs.
- TextNow: TextNow is a virtual number provider that offers free virtual phone numbers for calling and texting in the United States and Canada. It also provides affordable plans for international calling. TextNow operates primarily through its mobile app, which is available for iOS and Android devices.
These are just a few examples, and there are many other virtual number providers available in the market. It’s recommended to research and compare the features, pricing, and user reviews of different providers to find the one that best fits your requirements.
How we can use temporary numbers?
Using a virtual number typically involves the following steps:
- Acquire a virtual number: Choose a virtual number provider and obtain a virtual number by signing up for their service. This may involve selecting a country or region, and in some cases, providing verification information.
- Set up call forwarding (optional): Depending on your needs, you may have the option to set up call forwarding. This means that when someone calls your virtual number, the call will be forwarded to your personal phone number or another designated phone number of your choice.
- Make and receive calls: Once you have a virtual number, you can start making and receiving calls. You can use the virtual number just like a regular phone number by dialing the number directly or using the provider’s app or online interface to initiate calls.
- Send and receive text messages: In addition to calls, virtual numbers often support text messaging. You can send and receive SMS messages using the virtual number, either through the provider’s app or by linking the number to your messaging app.
- Manage voicemail and other features: Depending on the virtual number provider, you may have access to additional features like voicemail, call recording, call analytics, and more. Familiarize yourself with the provider’s offerings and customize the settings as per your requirements.
How we can get text SMS (for verification purpose) with Temporary Virtual Number?
If you’re specifically looking for a one-time virtual number to receive SMS messages, you can explore the following options:
- Temporary SMS services: There are online platforms that offer temporary virtual numbers specifically for receiving SMS messages. These numbers are typically available for a limited time or a specific number of uses. Examples of such services include Receive-SMS-Online, FreeOnlinePhone, and SMSReceiveFree.
- Mobile apps: Some mobile apps provide temporary virtual numbers for receiving SMS messages. These apps often offer additional features like message forwarding, privacy settings, and disposable numbers. Examples of such apps include TextNow, Hushed, and Burner.
- Virtual number service providers: Some virtual number providers offer the option to obtain temporary virtual numbers in addition to their regular virtual number services. Providers like Twilio, Telnyx, or Plivo may offer temporary virtual numbers that you can use for receiving SMS messages.
When using one-time virtual numbers, keep in mind that their availability and reliability may vary. Some services may have limited country coverage, while others may be more susceptible to blocking or filtering by certain platforms. Additionally, these numbers are generally not intended for long-term use or critical communications.
Before using any service, it’s important to review their terms of service and privacy policies to ensure they align with your needs and requirements.